Police said they will charge a Wisconsin man with five counts of intentional homicide after he allegedly drove an SUV into a Christmas parade Sunday, killing at least five adults and injuring more than 40, including children.
At a press conference Monday, Dan Thompson, chief of the Waukesha Police Department, told reporters that Darrell E. Brooks, 39, who was captured shortly after the attack, would face homicide charges. At least five adults between ages 52 and 81 died, while more than 40 more were injured, including over a dozen children, The New York Times reported.
Brooks had been released from custody after posting a $1,000 cash bail on charges of running over the mother of his child in a gas station parking lot in early November, the Times reported.
Police said that Brooks’ driving through the crowd at the parade was unrelated to terrorism, and that they were not pursuing Brooks at the time.
“We have no information that Brooks knew anyone in the parade,” Thompson told reporters.
Brooks was captured shortly after leaving the scene, according to the chief, who noted that he was one of the first responding officers. Thompson said an officer fired shots at Brooks’ vehicle, but stopped “due to the amount of people” at the parade. No one was injured from the officer’s gunshots, he said.
The Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office announced that it would launch an “internal review of the decision” regarding Brooks’ bond, according to a letter obtained by a local reporter.
“The state’s bail recommendation in this case was inappropriately low in light of the nature of the recent charges and the pending charges against Mr. Brooks,” the letter says. “The bail recommendation in this case is not consistent with the approach of the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office toward matters involving violent crime, nor was it consistent with the risk assessment of the defendant prior to setting of bail.”
White House press secretary Jen Psaki said on Twitter that the White House was in “close touch with local officials” to provide any assistance they needed.
“Our hearts are with the families and the entire community,” she added.
Content created by The Daily Caller News Foundation is available without charge to any eligible news publisher that can provide a large audience. For licensing opportunities for this original content, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have an opinion about this article? To sound off, please email letters@DailySignal.com and we’ll consider publishing your edited remarks in our regular “We Hear You” feature. Remember to include the URL or headline of the article plus your name and town and/or state.