President Donald Trump announced late Friday that he was checking into Walter Reed National Military Medical Center after testing positive the day before for COVID-19.
“I want to thank everybody for the tremendous support. I’m going to Walter Reed hospital,” Trump said in a brief video announcement from the White House.
“I think we’re doing very well, but we’re going to make sure things work out,” the president said. “The first lady is doing very well.”
First lady Melania Trump, who also tested positive for the virus, is not being hospitalized and remained at the White House.
The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than 200,000 Americans, most of them older and with underlying conditions.
>>> What’s the best way for America to reopen and return to business? The National Coronavirus Recovery Commission, a project of The Heritage Foundation, assembled America’s top thinkers to figure that out. So far, it has made more than 260 recommendations. Learn more here.
Trump, at 74, is considered in the high risk category.
White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said the hospital move was out of “an abundance of caution.”
“President Trump remains in good spirits, has mild symptoms, and has been working throughout the day,” McEnany said. “Out of an abundance of caution, and at the recommendation of his physician and medical experts, the president will be working from the presidential offices at Walter Reed for the next few days. President Trump appreciates the outpouring of support for both he and the first lady.”