Looking for a little extra cash? If you’re interested in defrauding taxpayers, it might be as easy as writing down a number on a form.
The number is your income. The form is the Obamacare application.
If you do not have “affordable” employer-sponsored health insurance and your income is between about $31,800 and $94,200 for a family of four (that is, between 138 percent and 400 percent of the federal poverty level), you qualify for an insurance subsidy through Obamacare.
But when you apply for coverage in the Obamacare insurance exchange, it’s up to you to report your income accurately. It turns out that the IRS won’t be checking everyone’s Obamacare applications.
Heritage health care expert Chris Jacobs ran the numbers to show what a difference a little fraud can make. He took a hypothetical family of four with $90,000 in income who were eligible for coverage through the exchange. If this family were honest, they would receive a subsidy of $2,997 to help cover their insurance premiums.
But if that same family put down $35,000 as their income instead, they would receive $10,175 from taxpayers. Even if they were caught, they would have to pay back only $2,500 of their ill-gotten subsidy, due to a loophole in Obamacare.
Will anyone be checking? It’s doubtful, Jacobs writes:
Supporters of the law claim this scenario will not happen, due to the penalties associated with misrepresenting information on application forms and tax documents. But with government auditors noting the exchanges have missed critical deadlines, and Obamacare anti-fraud investigations being cancelled, will the federal government really have the resources necessary to enforce the law, much less ensure taxpayer funds are not being abused?
Congress should not expose taxpayers to this kind of liability. It’s another reason to defund Obamacare.
UPDATE: Americans in states that choose to expand Medicaid with incomes under 138 percent of poverty, and Americans in states that do not choose to expand Medicaid with incomes under 100 percent of poverty, will qualify for premium subsidies.
Read the Morning Bell and more en español every day at Heritage Libertad.
- Should the IRS investigate the pro-Obamacare group Enroll America?
- A new Obamacare call center is breaking Obamacare’s most-touted promise.
- We told you the Obamas would be vacationing in Martha’s Vineyard, but are you ready to hear how much it will cost?
- President Obama is working to free Americans from “any form of public assistance.” At least, that’s what Michelle Obama is saying.
- According to a White House adviser, not raising the debt limit is equally as destructive as a “Sharknado.”
- Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX) will be at Heritage today at 11:30 a.m. ET to discuss why a complete defunding of Obamacare is crucial. Watch online here.